Yesterday I received a wonderful package from the nice folks at Sonny and Joe’s – 5 varieties of hummus and 1 container of babaganoush to sample. Thank you Sonny and Joe’s!
When the FedEx man dropped off the package, I promptly ripped it open, took out some Mary’s Gone Crackers and some baby carrots and happily started sampling. Here’s what I thought:
- Hot Enough Hummus – Hummus with Hot Peppers: One word – SPICY! And I love me some spicy food! It wasn’t “Oh my God, my face is on fire” hot; it was just hot enough – just like it says! I really started off with a bang. This was the first one I tried and it ended up being my favorite. I had it on a cracker, but I think it would be great on bread. The bread would counteract a little of the spiciness.
- Garlic Addiction – Hummus with Garlic: As soon as I took the lid off this one, I knew I was going to like it. It had loads of minced garlic on top and a drizzle of olive oil. It was a garlic lover’s dream! I’m always one to double up on the garlic in my recipes, so it’s no surprise that I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
- Jalapeno Hummus – Hummus with Jalapeno Peppers: I was expecting this one to be super hot, but I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted it and found it to be more sweet than anything else. Don’t get me wrong – it still has some bite to it. This is a great dip for crackers, or even tortilla chips.
- Hummus Galilee – Hummus with Galilee Olives: This hummus is so rich! It has green and black olives gathered in the center, and mixed throughout. I loved the taste, but I think I could only eat a small amount in one sitting.
- Just Hummus – Chickpea Spread: You can’t go wrong with classic hummus! This one certainly did not disappoint. It has a flavorful mixture of spices sprinkled on top. You could spread this on anything – wraps, sandwiches, crackers, you name it! Mmm, mmm, good!
- Babaganoush – Eggplant Spread: In all honesty, this one was definitely my least favorite. The second ingredient on the list is mayonnaise, and I could definitely taste it. I do think I would use this on a sandwich though, but I probably won’t be dipping any more crackers or carrots in it.
Overall impression: Definitely the most gourmet and most flavorful hummus I have ever had! They are all so smooth and creamy, which I loved. (I have food texture issues which actually used to keep me from eating hummus at all. Crazy, I know!)
I encourage you to visit Sonny and Joe’s blog to find out where you can buy their hummus! I guarantee you’ll love it!